Adult Sail Training » Advanced Sailing - Seamanship Skills Training
RYA Level Seamanship Skills Training - 3 days. Candidates must hold their Level 3 or Stage 4 qualification or have the ability and understanding equivalent to this.
Monday 29th - Wednesday 31st of May.
All advanced module training courses are RYA Approved and run over 3 days and is available to members only.
What is the course?
On successful completion of this course, you will be capable of manoeuvring a dinghy in a seamanlike manner and making seamanship decisions in moderate conditions. Much of the work afloat will be done without an instructor on board. The emphasis is on increasing the self-reliance and decision making of the sailor.
What should I bring?
In essence you will need, clothes for the shore, clothes for sailing, your logbook and a way to make notes etc. It is always colder on the water than on land and you may be wet for many hours so make sure you have enough. A full kit list is available here:
Please bring the following items to your course.
- Lunch, water and snacks. Light refreshments will be available during bar hours. Water and snacks may be taken afloat with you or in the coach boat.
- Pen and paper.
- Your logbook if you have one.
- Buoyancy Aid if you have one.
- Hat (cap or winter warm)
- Dry change of clothes
- Old sneakers or water shoes. Shoes must be closed toe and heel. Flip flops are not allowed!
- Wetsuit or warm clothes and full waterproofs (you will get wet).
- Wind breaker or waterproof jacket
- Clothes appropriate for the weather of the day. It is much colder on the water so please dress over-warm, we can always put a layer in the coach boat.
When and where do I need to be?
The timings of the course are in the table below. Please meet at the club in the training room (big blue double doors to the left of the main entrance).
|Advanced Module -Seamanship
29 May 2023↑HW 1:35am 5.3m
↑HW 2:20pm 5.1m
30 May 2023↑HW 2:44am 5.5m
↑HW 3:20pm 5.5m
31 May 2023↑HW 3:39am 5.9m
↑HW 4:09pm 6.0m
Tide data for bideford
Last updated 5:31pm on 28 February 2024